When you are considering getting braces, it’s important to consider all your treatment options. With so many different types of braces available, how do you know which method is the best for you? Here’s a quick analysis of the pros and cons of ceramic, or clear braces, particularly compared to traditional metal braces.
How Does Orthodontic Treatment with Brackets and Archwires Work?
Both ceramic and metal braces use a system of brackets and archwires that straighten your teeth with an application of constant, gentle pressure. The brackets are applied to your teeth with a special type of dental glue then archwires are attached to the brackets, encouraging your teeth to move into the right place. The archwire is adjusted periodically as your teeth slowly move into the desired place, and the elastic bands are switched out at orthodontist appointments.
What are Ceramic Braces?
Ceramic braces are made of tooth-colored or clear ceramic brackets attached to the surface of your teeth. They’re ideal for patients of any age who want a discreet orthodontic treatment without worrying that their braces will distract or garner unwanted attention.
Pros of Ceramic Braces
- Ceramic braces are more discreet and attractive: Their clear brackets are small and almost entirely invisible
- Customizable: Ceramic braces allow younger patients to have some fun with their orthodontic treatment. They can use colored bands to add color and enhance the bracket.
Cons of Ceramic Braces
- The cost of ceramic braces is typically higher than comparable treatments
- Ceramic is more likely to break and slightly less durable than metal.
- Since they’re fragile, ceramic braces tend to move teeth slower than metal
- The elastic ties securing the wire to the brackets tend to stain easily
What are Metal Braces?
Traditional braces with metal brackets are the most common type of braces. They’re made from high-grade stainless steel, and rubber bands are used to attach the archwire. Traditional braces now use heat-activated archwires that use your body heat to move your teeth quicker and with less pain.
Pros of Metal Braces
- They’re less expensive than most orthodontic treatments, including ceramic braces
- The O-rings come in a variety of colors, which allow children to express their personalities
- Metal braces are super strong and can hold up against the daily wear from brushing and chewing
- Quick results – treatment time with metal braces is usually the shortest
- Ideal for people with severe tooth correction issues
Disadvantages of Metal Braces
- They’re the most noticeable of all types of braces
- The bracket can irritate your gums and cheeks
Ceramic Braces Vs. Metal Braces? Which One Should You Choose?
Both metal and clear ceramic braces can help give you the straight smile you want. However, if you want a more discreet, convenient, and aesthetically pleasing way of straightening your smile, you may want to consider ceramic braces. But if you have more challenging orthodontic problems and want a durable, cost-effective, and highly efficient orthodontic treatment, metal braces may be the best option for you.
Luckily, you don’t have to make this decision on your own. At Senan Orthodontic Studios, we’re here to support you as you make the best decision for your oral health. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.