A nice smile is an important part of a healthy life, but there’s more to maintaining your teeth than preventing cavities and gum disease. The appearance of healthy smile matters, and there are a lot of great options available to achieve your goals. The good news is that if you’re unhappy with teeth that are overcrowded, gapped, or uneven, achieving a beautiful smile is possible with orthodontic intervention. Before scheduling your consultation with the friendly team at Senan Orthodontic Studios, here’s what you should know about how new braces could improve your quality of life and the best ways to get through your first week of braces.
What Are Braces?
Braces are orthodontic appliances used to improve the appearance and function of teeth that aren’t in the desired position. They’re comprised of metal or ceramic brackets and wires that are adhered to the surface of your teeth and gradually move your teeth over time. They’re typically worn between eighteen months and two years, depending on your particular needs. Braces can be used to treat a variety of dental concerns, including
- Gapped teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Uneven teeth
The best candidate for braces is an individual who is interested in improving the appearance or function of their smile but otherwise has good oral health habits.
What Are the Benefits of Getting Braces?
When your teeth look their best, it’s easy to feel your best. Braces can bring several cosmetic and oral health benefits to adolescents and adults alike. Some of these include:
- Resolving aesthetic imperfections
- Making it easier to chew, bite, and speak
- Preventing dental injuries
- Improving self-esteem
- Preventing bone erosion
- Making it easier to practice good oral hygiene
- Improving overall oral health
What Should Someone Expect After Getting Braces?
While braces are an effective way to improve the cosmetic and functional imperfections of your smile, they can take some time to get used to and may cause minor discomfort. Once you’ve had your braces put on, knowing what to expect can ensure that the transition to living with an orthodontic appliance goes as smoothly and comfortably as possible. As you take care of your braces, here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Ask your orthodontist questions, such as how to clean your teeth with braces, what foods to avoid, or how to manage discomfort.
- Be careful of what you eat and find braces-friendly foods. It’s best to stick with soft foods in the first few days after getting braces, avoid hot and cold foods and sticky foods, and slowly introduce solid foods as your mouth adjusts.
- Use brace wax when necessary to prevent your metal brackets from rubbing the inside of your mouth and lips.
- Rinse your mouth frequently with a glass of warm water or antibacterial mouthwash, especially after eating, to eliminate food particles and bacteria that may get stuck in the crevices of your teeth and brackets.
- If you experience a broken bracket or poking wire, don’t wait to contact your orthodontist. Along with preventing pain, sore spots, and discomfort, maintaining the integrity of your braces is important to stay on track for your orthodontic treatment plan.
Enhance Your Smile at Senan Orthodontic Studios
You want a confident smile, and dental braces are the best way to achieve that next step. At Senan Orthodontic Studios in Mcallen, TX, we can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted with braces. If you’re unhappy with the function or appearance of your crooked, overcrowded, or gapped teeth, there’s no better time than now to take the first step in achieving the smile of your dreams. Schedule your next orthodontic appointment with us today!
We look forward to showing you how easy, convenient, and affordable improving your smile with braces can be.