Retainers at Senan Orthodontic Studios
Achieving a beautiful, straight smile with braces is a big accomplishment. Caring for the health of your smile is an investment in your long-term oral and overall health. Now that you have a smile to be proud of, it’s important to ensure your newly-straightened teeth stay that way by wearing your custom retainer consistently.
Senan Orthodontic Studios: Where Beautiful Smiles are Made
Outstanding Care & Exceptional Results
What are Orthodontic Retainers?
After undergoing orthodontic treatment, keeping your newly improved straight and beautiful smile is important. Without a retainer, your teeth will undoubtedly shift back to their original positions making wearing a retainer essential. Orthodontic retainers are used to keep your teeth in the appropriate location after experiencing orthodontic treatment.
Once you’ve completed your braces treatment, we will create a custom mold of your mouth. From this mold, your custom retainer will be fabricated to keep your teeth in alignment. Consistently wearing your retainer is important to maintain the health and appearance of your newly enhanced smile, particularly right after your braces have been removed.
Retainer Options After Braces
There are three types of retainers. These include:
- Hawley: Also known as wire retainers, these are removable and are made from metal wire and plastic that are shaped to fit securely on the roof of your mouth or inside of your lower teeth. They are easily adjusted and typically last for many years if cared for properly.
- Fixed or bonded retainers: these are made of a braided or solid metal wire that is cemented to the back of your newly straightened teeth. Since they adhere to the back of your teeth, they’re not removable. They are discreet and won’t impact your ability to eat or speak clearly. They require extra effort when brushing and flossing around them. They also require caution when eating hard foods.
- Clear retainers: these are made from very thin plastic that is formed to fit your newly straightened teeth perfectly. They’re removable, virtually invisible, and easier to speak with than Hawley retainers. If your clear retainer breaks or no longer fits, it cannot be repaired and has to be replaced.
How To Care for a Retainer
Caring for your retainer is an important part of maintaining your newly straightened smile. To ensure that it stays in good condition for many years, be sure to keep these tips in mind:
- Clean your retainer daily by using a soft-bristled toothbrush and water.
- Avoid exposing your appliance to heat that could warp or break it, including the dishwasher.
- Never eat or bite down with a removable retainer in your mouth.
- Practice good oral hygiene habits, including daily brushing and flossing to keep your teeth healthy and strong.
- When not wearing your retainer, always keep it in its case rather than a purse, pocket, or napkin.
Always wear your retainer as directed!
How Long Do Orthodontic Retainers Last?
The lifespan of your retainer will depend on how often you wear it and how well you care for it. By wearing your appliance as directed, keeping it clean, and protecting it when not in use, you can expect your retainer to last many years.
How Much Do Retainers Cost?
The cost of an orthodontic retainer can vary anywhere from $250 to 600 depending on the type as well as your insurance plan. To learn more about which retainer might be best for you as well as what your insurance policy covers, please contact our office.
Orthodontic Retainers in McAllen, TX
If you’re interested in enhancing the health and beauty of your smile with orthodontic treatment, the experienced team at Senan Orthodontic Studios is here to help. Contact us today to learn more about our progressive orthodontic options, including maintaining your gorgeous, new smile with a retainer.